Friday, March 2, 2012

Swm: Klim chasing fourth Olympics


AAP General News (Australia)
08-18-2004
Swm: Klim chasing fourth Olympics

By Tom Wald

ATHENS, Aug 17 AAP - Injury-plagued Michael Klim has vowed to swim on until the 2008
Beijing Olympics.

The 27-year-old Victorian has had a horror run with injuries since the 2000 Sydney
Games, suffering from ankle, back and shoulder problems.

It has been feared the injuries had taken too great a toll on his body.

But the shaven-headed sprinter denied rumours this would be his Olympic swan song in Athens.

The dual Olympic gold medallist said he would manage his back troubles and planned
on swimming at his fourth Games in China.

"I have been really well actually, I have been struggling with injury for a couple
of years and I was under the pump to be ready in the last couple of weeks with some back
tightness," he said.

"But at no stage did I feel that I was in any doubt of swimming (at the Games)."

Klim had a shoulder reconstruction last year which badly affected his preparation before
the Olympic trials from March 27-April 3 in Sydney.

He only qualified for relays but has showed some encouraging signs in the 4x100m and
4x200m in Greece this week.

He swam a split of 1 minute 47.62 seconds to hold his own against American Ryan Lochte
tonight as Australia lost its Olympic 4x200m relay title.

"It is hard to swallow," Klim said of the defeat which ended Australia's six-year domination
in the event.

He felt he was finding his feet in international competition and would attend next
year's world championships in Montreal.

"Hopefully by the next major meet I will be fine," he said.

"Beijing is a great lure for me and I feel I am physically coming back to my old best
and hopefully I can be swimming around my best at the world championships next year."

It has not been decided whether Klim will swim a 100m butterfly time trial in a bid
to swim in Saturday night's medley relay.

AAP tdw/sp

KEYWORD: OLY SWM KLIM

2004 AAP Information Services Pty Limited (AAP) or its Licensors.

No comments:

Post a Comment